Fall 2007 All Hands Meeting Notes
1201 New York Avenue, NW
Washington , DC 20005
- UAB: John-Paul Robinson
- Clemson: Corey Ferrier, Jill Gemmill
- GMU: Jibo Xie, Bin Zhou
- GSU: Art Vandenberg , Victor Bolet, Nicole Geiger
- LSU: Steve Brandt
- UMD: David McNabb
- MSCR: Jason Hale
- ODU: Mahantesh Halappanavar, Mike Sachon
- SFASU: PR Blackwell
- SURA: Linda Akli, Gary Crane, Sue Fratkin, Mary Trauner, Dali Wang, Mary Fran Yafchak
- TAMU: Steve Johnson
- TTU: Jerry Perez
Wednesday, September 26
Accounting Install Fest:
Accounting Working Group hosted an Accounting Install Fest to promote
understanding and adoption of shared accounting information across
SURAgrid Resource Providers. During the Accounting Install Fest the
following was accomplished.
- Brief overview of the goal/work of the Accounting WG SG-accounting-statusSept07-jpr.ppt to acquaint non-working group members with the work to date.
of the SURAgrid Usage Record (Sg-UR), including live examples of
end-to-end setup (resource owners configured their local scheduler to
collect data in the Sg-UR format and sent to a centralized database).
- Set up of Resource Providers local schedulers, with assistance from Accounting WG members
- Accounting WG working session to develop plans for continuing progress and identifying additional participants. Plans include:
- piloting and documenting Sg-UR with a range of local schedulers
- refining centralized data collection at ODU
- setting up data viewing/reporting, initially through Darkslide/Xindice 1.1
- consideration of other database options
Thursday, September 27
Welcome - Jerry Draayer, SURA President
State of SURAgrid (State of SURAgrid Sept 07.ppt) - Mary Fran Yafchak
- New SURAgrid Member Introductions
- SURAgrid Accomplishments
- Meeting Goals and Objectives
SURAgrid Governance Committee – Art Vandenberg/Mike Sachon
- SGC Report (SURAgridSGC27Sep2007.ppt)
The SGC is drafting the first SURAgrid Annual Report & Strategic Plan for the SURA BoT meeting this December.
The SGC will be seeking input from the community in the coming weeks.
- Membership Structure Proposal (SURAgridMemberProposal24Sep2007.doc)
A vote for membership proposal will take place on the suragrid list very soon.
- SURAgrid Teaching Environment Requirements Review and Update – Linda Akli
- SURAgrid Teaching Environment Current Use - Mahantesh Halappanavar
- SURAgrid Teaching Environment Future Requirements – Amy Apon
(HPC Course Requirements.doc)
- Action Items:
- Linda & Mary Fran will update the requirements/description & create matrix of categories for teaching app types
- Amy will submit description for her proposed class so we can see if this can be supported
Linda & Mary Fran will explore virtual technologies for this
including the virtual appliance from University of Florida/Renato and
- Additional References:
- SURAgrid Accounting and Install Fest Report – John-Paul Robinson
- (SG-accounting-statusSept07-jpr.ppt), (AccountingBasicFlowChart.jpg)
Phase 1 completion [firm up questions in Sg-UR, short issues list,
finish documenting local scheduler processes, complete central database
storage and reporting process]
Phase 2 will go on with Phase 1 members – maybe scope to shorter
term/tangible thing again vs. addressing “bigger picture” and more
- Metascheduling/Gridway – John-Paul Robinson/Mahantesh Halappanavar
Good next step would be to create a short Cookbook or similar set of
instructions for sites to follow in setting up Gridway for local use.
Next step could then be a closer look at coordinating Gridway instances
grid-wide, with input from more experiences and viewpoints. Will stay
in loose contact on this for now (via suragrid-support list) as
interested folks implement Gridway locally
- Implementation interest/progress:
John-Paul & UAB are continuing to pilot and discuss. Mahantesh has
begun working with John-Paul to add Mileva to the UAB Gridway group.
- Jerry Perez is also using Gridway at TTU.
- Jason Hale is interested in using Gridway at his MCSR/OleMiss
- Steve Johnson also likely to begin working with Gridway as part of operations at TAMU
- Common Applications Platform – Mahantesh Halappanavar (CapSURAgrid.ppt)
Next steps w/CAP – Submission to Mardi Gras Grid-enabling workshop will
also serve as the impetus to write this up. Will begin meeting with
some regularity after that in any case to contemplate more concrete
next steps (and creating complete paper) if submission is accepted.
Anyone interested is invited to join this (UAB: JPR, Puri, Enis, ODU:
Mahantesh, SURA: MFY). See MFY if you are interested in participating
actively in this initial work.
SURAgrid Documentation Updates
Mary & Linda are updating these docs and will be sending out to the community for input within the next couple of months.
Corporate Partnership Updates – Gary Crane
- (partner overview.ppt)
Reviving discussions w/Sun & HP – Gary will send notice to the list
with details and to query for interest. Steve Johnson and Mike Sachon
expressed interest in talking with both Sun and HP.
Friday, September 28
Stack Update/Packaged SURAgrid Install - Mary Fran Yafchak/Jerry Perez
The SURAgrid community defined a common set of software that should be
available on all SURA server systems. Planning is in progress for Stack
Version 4 and work is in progress on providing a convenient way to
install this software. Texas Tech University is piloting a SURAgrid
install package based on similar
work within the TIGRE project. Draft documentation is available on the SURAgrid Stack WIKI hosted by TIGRE at http://omnius.hpcc.ttu.edu/SURAgrid_wiki/ServerStack. Next steps are:
SURAgrid Infrastructure (continued) – Mary Fran Yafchak
- Development URL: http://omnius.hpcc.ttu.edu/SURAgrid_wiki.
Jerry will continue to develop and testers to test – targeting release
in conjunction with updated SURAgrid user documentation.
Victor/GSU offered to verify with AIX in conjunction with new
(updated?) IBM there. David/UMD offered to verify with Mac OS X 10.4
- Jerry to setup section of the Wiki for listing op sys/platforms that have been verified successful with the packaged install.
Should think about firing up some “stack administrator” functions,
minimally monitoring the status of software in the stack. Also – where
to put/how to such info – time for the SURAgrid Support Wiki? (for
stack info and more…) Need to find someone to lead this effort (Dali?
Implementation team? Others with interest?) SURA is also already
discussing internally to see what staff could/should lead.
SURAgrid Communications and Outreach – Linda Akli
- SURAgrid PKI Status and Update (PKI Update.pdf)
- Jim continuing to work on next level as spec’d at All-Hands
- Issuing of IDs following strong authentication practices is underway
Need to draft initial policy documents (CP & CPS) – MFY/Dali,
John-Paul/UAB, and Nicole/GSU participating; will discuss overlap and
possible involvement of InCommon in conjunction with this (www.incommonfederation.org)
- Need to develop depth in this area – WG potential: Jerry Perez
- MFY to talk w/Jim re: updating authN/Z paper or creating authN/Z “roadmap”
Action Item Recap, Wrap-up, and Scheduling Next Meeting – Mary Fran Yafchak
- Grid-Enabling Workshop Call for Papers (Workshop Call for Papers.pdf). Encourage everyone to distribute flyer at their institution and to interested parties
SC07 Preparations (Soliciting potential demos for both the SURAgrid and
GSU pedestals in the IBM booth, presentations in the IBM Theater, SURA
member/SURAgrid participant exhibits.) SC07 Planning.doc
- Action items are listed with the agenda items.
- Email will go to the list to get potential dates for next meeting.
© Copyright 2007 Southeastern Universities Research Association. All Rights Reserved.